background

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Happy in CLOTH diapers


 
So funny story, those of you I talked to about not ever doing cloth diapers; I lied. I was totally and completely against them, until I did some research. I really thought that they were going to be gross and that's coming from a former CNA. Boy was I wrong, it is maybe a tenth of what CNAs have to do seriously. After reading Changing diapers; The hip mom's guide to Modern cloth diapering recomended by a friend I met in Oregon. She taught me how easy it can be and I was hooked. Now just mentioning it to Nick, Ha. Well the book helps you talk to your husband about it too. Hint: start with how much you will save, that's what got Nick.
So besides how much you will save and how much you helping the economy out they look so much cuter than those old styles they had way back in the day.
Now starting out with cloth is really hard to get used to, at least it was for me. There are so many brands of cloth diapers I really only had advice from a friend who used gdiapers and they worked great for her baby, so gdiapers is what I went with. With starting off with the gdiaper newborn kit, PS don't start out with that if you want to do cloth diapers, I really wanted to give up on them; they did not fit on her as well and seriously she leaked out almost every time, so we were constantly having to change her clothes.
So I started to look into other cloth diapers and tada I found the perfect cloth diaper for me, o and Lexi. Bumgenius, hands down best diaper ever! They are almost like disposables minus being a disposable haha. Compared to a gdiaper they are and all in one diaper and they will fit her til she is potty trained, yippee! Why didn't I look into these earlier my husband says, wellllllll, that's all I have to say.
Bumgenius is a little bulkier, and not as cute of colors(they are getting cuter) but they are awsome. Plus when Lexi starts to walk and falls down on her bum, she will at least have some cushion to protect that cute little baby bum of hers.
Now like I said cloth diapering is hard to get used to; you have to buy the diapers, and the cleaners and the stuff to hold them in, and the stuff to make it smell better, and the sprayer( you will hate it if you don't), but after all of the up front costs, you are on your way to saving thousands of dollars, WHAT, o yes I said it, thousands!!! Cause not only am I saving money on Lexi, but they can be used for our other baby Johnsons to come. Now if that doesn't make you want to cloth diaper I don't know what else to tell you. Nick was skeptical at first and until we start seeing the money being saved he still will be, but so far I LOVE them.
Now getting my husband to actually change the diapers is my next task. See we still don't have a sprayer so I have to spray it off with a bottle sprayer which hurts my hands and gets me frustrated, hense you NEED the sprayer. Nick will not clean them, so i'm starting him off will just changing it and I clean the diaper, but I can guarantee you as soon as we get the sprayer, he will be helping out as much as he can.
I would not spend the time telling you how much I LOVE the diapers if I didn't love the diapers and if they didn't work for me. So if you have any questions please feel free to ask, I love talking about it, and I am proud to say I am different than my family. Sometimes doing something a little different makes you a little bit stronger. Plus who knows maybe I will start a trend, PEOPLE do NOT be afraid to cloth dipaer!  
O by the way for those who are wondering, we did not start cloth diapering til all the Myconeum was out of her system. And if you are breastfeeding the staining is worse so I heard, I wouldn't know about bottle feeders.
I guess you could say I am a tiny teenie bit of a crunchy mom
 
 
These are the cloth diapers, they are the smalls. She grew out of the newborns so quick, it really wasn't worth getting them. Plus with this brand you have to buy the smalls, mediums, larges, and extra larges if you need them. This brand is way more expensive. They are cute though I can't deny that.

My bumgenius came!!! They have gotten a lot of new cute colors

Plus with this brand each diaper comes with not one but TWO inserts, while with the gdiapers you have to buy them. These inserts are so absorbable too. I just love them.

Look at all the many colors
 

Doesn't she just look so cute in them? As you can see in this picture I got the snap ones, which will last longer than the loop and hook kind( velcro kind ). She looks so happy in them, I would too if I had that soft fabric on my bum.
 
Happy Happy Happy in CLOTH diapers!!!


2 comments:

  1. Ugh! I wish I would have started out with cloth! I am so tired of spending buckets of money on diapers. Now we have to wait until we can dump a little money into cloth. I'm glad you are loving them, makes me even more mad :) Lexi is so sweet, again, I wish I could meet her and have baby play dates with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diapers are soooo expensive, we sometimes still use them when we are spending nights with family and eventually I will do all cloth, including wipes, because you will realize disposable wipes are hard to use with cloth because you need another bag for those. It is definetly worth the investment, even if it does't seem like it at first. O how I wished we lived close to you, play dates would be so much fun. Plus Mav is growing up so fast I can't believe 6 months ago I was watching you give birth to him,crazy how fast time flies!

      Delete